That I am a pinterest addict is well documented around these parts. So when I was tasked with “making a little something special” for a friend’s baby shower, I took to the internets and found this awesome crepe paper flower tutorial through my favorite addiction & thought I’d give this project a try. Please click through to that link for full instructions.
In short, you need card stock for the backing, crepe paper for the flower petals (this stuff goes a long way people, I had no idea, but one roll is about 80 feet, and you can get about 1 flower a foot, maybe slightly less), glitter, glue (I found this cool glitter glue by Crayola but any old glue will do) & buttons. I took out a paper plate and made a pile of glitter and a pile of glue. I started by making the glitter buttons (basically put some glue on top of the button & smooshed it into the glitter pile) & let those dry. Then I cut out circle backings for the flowers (not too perfect & about an inch & a half all around). Then I made the petals out of crepe paper and started to assemble the flowers. To do that, I first dredged the edges of the paper in a little glue & dipped it into the glitter. I also put a glob of glue on the backing to give the petals something to really stick to. I did 2 layers of petals, and once those were on there, I put a big old glop of glitter glue in the middle and stuck the button in there. Finally, I put a square of mounting tape on the back so that these can be stuck to a lapel or a dress as a boutonniere.
They are far from perfect on close inspection, but from a not-too-far away place, they are really quite lovely, if I do say so myself. It took me about an hour to make 10 flowers, but it got a lot faster once I got going. I normally don’t post my crafting projects on here, but I thought this one was especially cool, and could be a really easy way to add a little DIY flavor to a wedding. I could totally see this looking really cool for groomsmen for something a little different, or if you really had some time on your hands, I love nothing more than a whole bunch of coordinated guests & these could double as a favor/something for everyone to wear.
Overall, I’d rate this project as follows:
-Degree of difficulty: 0 (this was super easy to make look really good)
-Time consuming: 7 (it’s kind of on par with decorating sugar cookies, not fast but not prohibitive)
-Wow factor: 10 (just my opinion, of course!)
Here’s some shots of how mine turned out: